Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Nightwing vol 2: Back to Bludhaven by Tim Seeley


I have loved Nightwing from the time I was very young and first learned to read. I have follwed his story all the way from the second series where he first donned the Black and Blue costume he wears again. Since we now know that we are on a different Earth than what we read before Flashpoint and New 52 we now know this isn't the Nightwing I have known for so long. Since we are reading a new Nightwing to us this book is all about Nightwing finding out who he is. 

This is sort of broken into two parts. The first part is a normal adventure for Nightwing. His dreams are being invaded to help build up a being who feeds on fear and despair in dreams. In order to defeat this guy, Nightwing gets a littel help from our very own big blue, Superman. Nightwing is then forced to live out his worst fear in his dreams and that is the death of all the people he loves. Superman helps Dick realize that no matter what he is never alone because of the kind of man and hero he is. He has friends. 

The second part is all about Nightwing getting out of Gotham to find himself. Where would Dick go to be on his own? Well as the title states, Dick heads to Gotham's sister city Bludhaven. I was waiting for a Blockbuster from this Earth to pop up somewhere. That didn't happen but who knows, maybe in the future. Dick has to distance himself and reevaluate his life as a person and a hero. 

As a story I really enjoyed it, but there were some slower moments. Volume 1 I flew through and couldn't out it down. This volume I didn't have a problem setting it aside and walk away from it. I can't thank DC Comics and Netgalley for allowing me to read this for a honest review. I do have to apologize that it took me so long to get this reviewed. You expect this type of story to have its slower moments because it is character development, not an all out action thriller. This was still very much worth the read and does seem to set up the next chapter in Nightwing's story so I am excited to continue on to the next volume. One complaint I do have for this is the art work kind of fell short for me. I always love the detail that has been in the city pages in other books and this lacked detail. Maybe it was meant to be that way but it just felt incomplete to me. 

I enjoyed reading this book and like I said, I can't wait to read volume 3. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment