Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Deathstroke Vol 1: The Professional by Christopher Priest


I have always liked Deathstroke. He was the villainous equal to Batman in a sense of being super calculating and meticulous. That being said he does have this lighter side to him that makes him sort of an anti-hero. It makes this character very deep and interesting. I have read a few of the books Deathstroke is in but I have never really dug into the character like this book has. Since I am a fan and DC Comics and Netgalley were so kind to allow me to read this for a review I anxiously read through this. 

I usually save the art work for the end of the review but I have to share this cover. This type of detail runs through most of the book and I was really impressed. For being so evil and cold these pictures are really vibrant. There may not be a lot of colors but this cover alone is both bright and dark and gives off so much emotion. 
Now, on to the story. I will admit that I was a little lost through this book and will need a re-read in the future to get everything going on in this book. I felt that this book even though it was a Rebirth story would have been better if I had read the previous books. So here is the long and the short of the plot. Slade Wilson, like every other character in the DC Universe he is reinventing who he is and what he stands for. We get to see glimpses into Slade's past and his family life. We also find out that someone has a contract out on Slade's daughter. Now Slade has to figure out who is out to destroy every part of his life. 

Here is where I got excited. Who better for Slade to turn to for help by Batman. He doesn't really ask nicely but instead kidnaps Robin to make Batman sort of babysit Slade's teenage daughter. This part was the best part of the book, but don't get your hopes up. We don't find anything out in this volume. We get exactly the story we should have at this point because this is going to be big. I enjoyed this book. I am so glad I got to read it and I do plan on moving on to Vol 2 when it comes out. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment