Monday, February 13, 2017

The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman


Here we are, the last book in the Magician's Trilogy. This book picks up a bit after book 2 ends. Quentin is living back in the normal world, Julia is in the other side of Fillory, and Elliott is fighting a battle that only marks the beginning of an all out war for Fillory. Magic is leaving Fillory and the world is dying. I will admit that this book seemed to grab my attention more than the second book very early on. It is one of those situations where all our favorite characters a divided and you hope something happens to being them together. 

Ok so in the last book I really had a hard time keeping up with the time frame changes. Julia in Fillory versus Julia in the real world gaining her powers. Well this happens in this book too. At the beginning Quentin is invited to a run down bookstore in hopes of a job of the magic variety. Then we find Quentin working as a professor at Brakebills who finds the note offering the Job. So this book flips between time as well. It was so hard to listen to this book at work because of the subtle shift in time every now and then.

Quentin is out to find his way back to Fillory and he will do what ever it takes to get back. While he is trying to get back Elliot is trying to find Quentin so they can save Fillory and we get to see Alice in her powerful and very angry form. I will admit that this book held my interest much more than the previous two. I will still have to admit that I don't think these books were really my taste. I'm glad I read them but also glad I am finished. I give this 3 out of 5 stars. Still love the show and look forward to each new episode. 

No comments:

Post a Comment