Monday, February 6, 2017

Nightwing Vol 1: Better than Batman by Tim Seeley


This is the book I have been waiting for. I have been a Nightwing fan since the very beginning of his solo run. Dick Grayson became Nightwing with the blue and yellow suit. These stories were good but I don't feel like Dick really came into the hero he is today until the second run when he changed to the Blue suit which is my absolute favorite. I was bummed when they changed him to a red version of the current suit but the character is who I really like so I moved on.

During New 52 Dick Grayson was captured in a book called Froever Evil and exposed to the world and then "Killed" Of course Batman and Dick found a way to make this fake and give him the ability to live his life. So Dick went off and became a spy for Spiral. I started to read the series about this Grayson, but the story was dull, the character wasn't what I loved and I ended up not finishing the run before Rebirth. I was disappointed and pining for the return of Nightwing. This book is everything I had hoped for and so much more.

I need to thank DC Comics and Netgalley for allowing me to read this for an honest review. It came at a great time. Last weekend I was so sick, I mean I couldn't get out of bed for anything and it was a chore to even hold my iPad. Being stuck in bed I was really happy to have new comics to read to make me feel better when I was like death in a soupy package. In this book we get to see what happened to Dick leading up to where we are now in the story which was great to get that hole filled before it took off. The my favorite pannel in the whole book is not only seeing Dick back in the Nightwing suit but back in the original Blue one.  Goosebumps abounded when I got to this page. The rest of the book flew by out of sheer excitement to be reading one of my favorite characters back as he belonged.

So here is where the story gets weird and I couldn't put this down. Dick is working for the Parliament of Owls. Scott Snyder wrote some of the best Batman story lines I have ever read but Court of Owls is somewhat still going on. The Court of Owls has mostly been destroyed in Gotham but the larger Parliament in Europe is still working to control the world. Dick has begun working for them because they are threatening to kill Damien Wayne if he doesn't. What they don't know is that Dick is planning to take them all down from within the organization. To keep Dick in check the Parliament partners him with Raptor who has a creepy kind of feel to him. He is also brash and violent and tells Dick he is going to have to learn a new way of fighting or he wont survive. Together the Parliament sends them on errands to help build a new home for the members of the Parliament of Owls.

This story was amazing. I am so glad I got this book to read for a review. I was on cloud 9 when I got the approval letter for this one. Batman is my all time favorite Super Hero but Nightwing is a very very close second. I'm beyond excited to see him back and I can't wait for volume 2 to come out so I can read what happens next. The story is amazing and it grabbed me from the very beginning and didn't let go. I give this 5 out of 5 stars. This is a must read for any fan of the Batman series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment