Friday, February 24, 2017

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl


If you have read my blog before you know that my wife and I read with my son most nights. For Christmas Conner got a Roald Dahl  box set and we just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Conner wanted to go right into the next book and couldn't wait. So we picked this up and kept Harry Potter on hold. I'm just going to say this right up front. This book was not as good as the first one. I was kind of a disappointment. 

This book picks up right after the first book. Charlie and Mr Wonka go to Charlie's home to get his mother, Father and other 3 grandparents. They move the bed into the great glass elevator and off they go to the Chocolate Factory. With a few mishaps the glass elevator rockets into space and right to a space hotel. Sounds interesting right? You would be wrong. this first part of the book was so boring we felt like we would never get through this. I think my son enjoyed it but my wife and I couldn't wait to finish this book. 

If a space adventure wasn't enough to deal with Charlie's grandparents want to get out of bed. Wonka gives them a special vitamin which would make them younger but they take to much. 3 of them become babies and one becomes a minus. If you want to know exactly what this is you will just have to read the book. If this review hasn't swayed you from that already. 

This is not one of my favorite Roald Dahl books and at least I can say I read it. I would say this is not on my re-read list but I know when my daughter gets a little older and wants to read this I wil struggle though it again. I give this 2 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment