Friday, February 10, 2017

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl


I can remember the first time I saw this movie. I was 9 and my dad found this on VHS at Toys r Us. We bought it and watched it while eating dinner in the living room. I have never read the book until now reading it with my wife and son. I have always loved the original movie with Gene Wilder even over the remake with Johnny Depp. Don't get me wrong the Depp movie is good and a closer adaptation to the book but the original is the best.

Willy Wonka is a recluse and no one has seen him or anyone in his factory for years. There has to be people in the factory though because it keeps churning out the worlds most amazing confections. Out of the blue Wonka announces that he is placing 5 golden tickets into his chocolate bars,. The ones who find it will get a private tour of the factory, a lifetime supply of Chocolate, and a special surprise to the winner. This leads me to our main character Charlie Bucket. This poor boy is exactly that, poor. His mother and father have no money and they take care of their parents who live the four of them in one bed in the middle of the house. Charlie would give anything to visit Wonka's factory but he only gets one chocolate bar a year on his birthday.

Needless to say Charlie finds a ticket and gets to visit the chocolate factory. Inside the Chocolate factory we read about all kinds of wonders and rare candies. We also get to meet the people who help run the factory. Mr. Wonka has a bunch or little people known as Oompa Loompas. Charlie and 4 other children go into the factory and each room has different wonders that some are unable to keep their hands off of.

I do like this book. I never read this until now and I am so glad I did. It was such a joy to read this with my son. I say read with my son because we all traded chapters. We would read at least 3 chapters a night. My son would read one and then my wife and I would read at least 1 each. Sometimes if the chapters were short we would read 2 but for the most part we traded. We all got such a kick out of this and then we watched the original together while my son was sick home from school. This weekend we are going to watch the remake with Johnny Depp. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars and I am so glad we read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment