Monday, January 9, 2017

The Troop by Nick Cutter


I had been dying to read this book for so long. I got the advanced reader copy from Netgalley but never had time to read it. I remeber when this came out the big thing that made me want to read this more than anything was the quote from Stephen King.
"The Troop scared the hell out of me, and I couldn't put it down. This is old-school horror at it's best." -Stephen King
I thought it the master of Horror found this that terrifying it had to be good. Well, let's say this isn't the first time King and I have  disagreed. So this book is about a Boy Scout troop that has gone to an island for their yearly camping trip. While there they encounter a man running from something that has a hunger that can't be satisfied. He is being eaten from the inside and is contagious. The sickness drives the victim crazy and causes them to slip into madness and eat anything and everything to satisfy the hunger.

I hate to say it but I didn't find this scary at all. It was kind of predictable and there were moments I almost smacked my head thinking "Really, you went that way with the plot?". I had such high hopes for this book and it just didn't live up to the hype. I was already in a bit of a reading funk when  I started this. I had really hoped this book would be the one to pull me out of the funk and be one of the best reads of 2016 I had. Instead I was disappointed and couldn't wait to put this book behind me.

This book like any other had its ups and downs in the plot like any book out there but this one felt like there were more downs than anything else. King is also quoted as saying this isn't for the faint of heart and where there are some gross scenes in the book I have read far worse. I have been sitting on this review for some time because I didn't know exactly what to say other than this was a disappointment. I reviewed this on Goodreads with a 3 star rating but sgtill hadn't written the actual review. Now that I sit here rethinking this book I have to change my review to a 2 out of 5 star read. I am not sure if I will be continuing with this author. I am really torn. I want to try something else to see if I can finally see what King saw reading this book, but at the same time I fear being let down again with hopes higher than the quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment