Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Awakening (2011)


I knew nothing about this movie but had seen it in my recommend section on Netfilx. The article I chose to be the theme for this year's Halloween Week was all the nudging I needed to give this a watch. I can't believe it took me so long to watch this movie. It was amazing!!!! I'm going to go against my usual format and just rate this now. I give this 5 out of 5 stars and if you wish to read on you will find out why. If you have read enough and want to experience this for yourself then by all means. Hit up Netfilx and enjoy.

This move was so scary and at the same time had a great story and a good ending. I will do my best to not spoil anything for any future viewers. This movie is about a woman Florence Cathcart who is racked with guilt and grief after the passing of her fiance during World War 1. She has made it her mission to debunk every psychic, ghost hunter, supernatural sitting, and fortuneteller. She wants to make sure her love isn't still out there and he is actually gone.

With her experience she is called upon to check out a mysterious sighting of a boy ghost is sighted at a boarding school. This movie relies heavily on the pop out scare but at the same time is very cerebral. The story gets into you and you start to live with the characters as the story plays out. It's psychological and not a gore fest. So many movies these days rely on the gross out gore to scare an audience and this one doesn't which I loved. It is a good old fashion ghost story. 


I really loved this movie and it was one of the best horror movies I have watched in a long time. I bet this remains my favorite of the new movies I watched for this week. Re-Animator and Wes Craven's New Nightmare I've seen but there are 6 movies I haven't seen in this weeks line up. If you like ghost stories and a good scare as well as a great story/plot then you have to see this movie. This is going onto my RIP Challenge as an entry in the Peril on the Screen section. 


No comments:

Post a Comment