Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Re-Animator (1985)


This is a classic. One of the best cheesy horror movies out there and this is only the second time I've seen it. This has every aspect of an 80's horror movie should have. Cheesy over the top gore, a story that is so out there it can be hard to wrap your head around, and gratuitous nudity. So what is this movie about? A scientist Herbert West is pushing the limits of life and death. He has developed a serum that restores life to a corpse. The movie opens with him and his professor in Sweden grappling in an office because West has brought his dead professor back to life. 

I haven't read this because my exposure to Lovecraft is rather limited. Having said that though this movie really makes me want to read his stuff. This movie isn't scary but it isn't so goofy you tune this out. The story was really interesting and I was hooked from the very beginning, and I was so happy to see this pop up on the best Halloween movies to stream on Netfilx. I'm not sure I would have written a review on this movie ever had it not been on that list. As much as I like this movie and want to watch it again, I really don't know what to say about it. It's not that this movie is forgettable, but I have so much floating around in my head that trying to put it in to words and not spoil this movie is proving to be a challenge. 

The serum is highlighter yellow and easy to pick out in any scene. It not only brings back a cat and several corpses but it brings back a head too. each scene plays out so well in this movie and the acting was very good for this type of horror movie. I do enjoy this movie quite a bit and if you are looking for a classic horror movie I highly recommend it. Check out the trailer below for yourself. 


I do wish this movie was scarier but it is still on my short list of favorites. I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. This is my second entry in my Halloween week and for my Peril on the Screen for RIP. I highly recommend you check this out this Halloween for your own sake. It is worth the rental. 


No comments:

Post a Comment