Friday, October 21, 2016

From a Buick 8 by Stephen King

22076

I've had this on my to read list for a long time and this seemed like as good a time as any to give it a read. Of course when I saw the title I figured this had to be a re imagined version of Christine which was a great book. The more I read about this book I could see similarities but also differences between the two books. I honestly saw a lot of similarities between this book and NOS4A2 which just shows the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. 

This book opens with one of the weirdest events I have seen in a King novel. A man shows up with this customized Buick at a gas station and heads for the bathroom. After about a half hour the Attendant starts to wonder what happened to the guy. The Buick he left behind is taken by the local troopers and kept in a shed out back, Weird things start happening like fire work like shows coming from the the Buick as well as strange creatures coming from the trunk. Ok, this is about all I can say about the book that wont ruin the good parts. 

I had such high hopes for this book and after the reading funk I have been in I thought what would be better to bring me out of it than a Stephen King book. Boy was I wrong. This not only didn't bring me out of my funk but I couldn't wait to get finished with this because I was bored. There wasn't enough substance to keep me interested. I found myself day dreaming about anything but this book and wondering how much I had left to go constantly. 

I swear, this year and last, the RIP challenge has been the kiss of death for my reading life. I have yet another disappointing selection. It's not the challenge's fault I have just made really poor choices it seems. I read this in audio for and there were several different actors to read the different character parts, and these are fairly popular actors. Normally this would be a big plus but I found myself getting lost with the quick change not only between the different characters but also between the different time periods. Oh yeah, we get the story from characters in the present as well as when they were experiencing the story as it unfolds. 

Maybe my reading funk had an effect on my enjoyment of this book, or maybe this wasn't one of King's best. All I know is I'm glad I'm done with this book and it will not be on my re-read list. 3rd book in a row I have given a 2 out of 5 star review. This is the week of 2 star books. I really need better book choices. This will be my 5th entry in the RIP challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment