Friday, October 28, 2016

Dark Skies (2013)


I have to be honest. I'm not usually one for alien movies aside from the original Ridley Scott's Alien, or Independence day. Still this movie is on the list for best Halloween movies and I like Keri Russell. I've seen some of her movies and they have been enjoyable. I liked her in the Adam Sandler movie Bedtime Stories. So this movie is of course about a family plagued by Aliens and have no idea how to stop them or even if they can stop them. 

For not being all into Aliens this movie really creeped me out. The thing that is so scary about this is that Aliens could be watching you for years and you'd never know until they decide they want you and its over. You could be living a peaceful happy life and be watched by Aliens and you'd never know it until it's to late. That is a really horrifying idea to wrap your head around which makes this movie scary on a different level. What do I mean by this? Well, normally when you watch a horror movie, you can easily realize you know more than the character. "Don't go in there!!!, If that were me I wouldn't have decided to live in the house that tried to eat my dog," and on and on. You can also rationalize movie plots like, I know I'm safe because I have lived in this house/neighborhood for a long time and these people moved in and BAM, they were haunted. You feel safe because of rational thought. 

Since this movie plays on the fact that if you try to rationally think you way out of it, you will only dive deeper into the rabbit hole. Bravo for luring me in like this and holding my attention for the most part all the way through. To be fair, My wife and I were carving our pumpkins the night we watched this so I wasn't exactly watching when I was cutting out the face of my Jack-O-Lantern. Still, I had plenty of moments when my goosebumps were practically flying off my skin and my heart rate was a little elevated. 



I highly recommend this if you are looking for a good scare this Halloween. So far i haven't had a gory slasher flick in the bunch and a lot of great psychological thrillers. Once again I am going to include this in the RIP challenge for my Peril on the Screen section. Thanks for joining me on this 5th day of my Halloween week event. 


No comments:

Post a Comment