Monday, September 5, 2016

Suicide Squad

Image result for suicide squad movie poster

I have been waiting for a very long time for this movie. DC Comics has done, I think, a great job with their new DC Extended Universe or DCEU. The movies are great no matter what those bloated Marvel loving critics think. One thing that remains constant in every review I have read for every DC Comics movie is they are always compared to Marvel movies and that isn't fair since they are different universes. DC is not as cheery and bright as Marvel is. For Chrristmas my wife and I got a gift card and ticket vouchers to go to the movies and I knew when this was going to come out Iwasn't going to have the excess funds to see it so I horded this and saved it. A few weeks ago my wife and I finally got to see this. I just haven't had the drive to write anything let alone a review for one of the best movies of the summer. Big claim I know, but I liked it. 

So for those of you who don't know what the Suicide Squad is here is a basic explanation. The Government has these jobs that they don't want to waste on soldiers beause they know it is more than likely going to end in a large loss of life. So they don't have to use soldiers they implant these explosives in the necks of criminals so they ddo exactly what Amanda Waller wants. Otherwise, she activates the explosive and kills them. A very dark premise yes but the criminals they choose are the worst of the worse so you kind of go along with it because the world would be better without them. At the same time the more you get to know these misfits the more you want them to win. To find a way to disable their explosives and get away to freedom. The writing on these comics is great so I was very excited for the movie. 

Image result for suicide squad movie posterIn this movie we get some of the best villains and cameos. Batman plays a bog part in the capture of Harley Quinn, Deadshot, and Killer Croc. We get to see The Flash take down Captain Boomerang also. We also get Diablo, and Rick Flag who isn't a criminal by the way. All of them are are fighting against a supernatural villain who wants to destroy all of mankind. Katana is also in this team up but she isn't really a villain but she is no stranger to killing.

The story was great despite the little plot holes that popped up occasionally. I enjoyed learning the "origin" stories of some of these characters as well as the origin of the team. Also, seeing these characters in live action was the first for most of them and a huge thrill for this life time comic book nerd. I also loved Margot Robbie, Will Smith, and Viola Davis. I read a lot of reviews about this movie before I saw this and not many of them were good but the one commonality was that most of them raved about these actors performances. Will Smith brought a soft human quality to this character who is a stone cold contract killer which made his story a little more interesting. Viola Davis was absolutely perfect for the role of Amanda Waller. She brought the evil this character hides behind a tough exterior. I can't believe how perfect she was at this character that you love to hate. The real star of this movie though is Margot Robbie. She was over to top amazing at Harley Quinn. I was really impressed with her performance and it was like the character lept off the pages of the comics I love and was standing before me.

I will admit that I had a few issues with this movie so it wasn't the perfect blockbuster I make it out to be. Before I get into my grevences I have to say that DC Comics and Warner Brothers knocked it out of the park with casting their female characters so far. Gal Gadot, Margot Robbie, and Viol,a Davis were amazing choices for these characters. On the flip side they have done a terrible job with the villains. Jesse Eisenberg is the worst Lex Luthor I have ever seen and he is the worst possible choice for this character. Well I feel the same way about Jared Leto as the Joker. First of all the look was entirely wrong for the character.  The Joker isn't tatted up with a gold teeth grill. He is crazy and calculating in a way that makes no sense. Not this characture of the worlds worst criminal. He was over the top cartoonish and just terrible. I would have been so much happier had he not been in this movie. Jared Leto is a great actor and I can't fault his skill entirely. This could have been due to bad writing or costuming or I don't know what else, but I felt this just crapped on what the character of the joker really is. Heath Ledger was the quintessential Joker and it makes sense that it drove him insane and to take his own life. The joker is the darkest character I have ever read. Aside from the Joker in this movie I was kind of bummed they stuck with a PG-13 rating. Deadpool was a huge success as the first R rated comic book movie and I feel this move warranted that R rating so this movie could really be what it should be. I felt this was restrained like the movie wanted to be more but was censored. I also felt that they maybe shouldn't have tried so hard to be funny.

Batman Vs Superman was a dark movie as it should have been but this got so much negative press. Because of that DC decided to lighten up all of there upcoming movies and it showed in this. The one liners were great but there were times it felt like they were trying to hard to get a laugh. With all of this being said I still loved it and can't wait for it to be released on iTunes. I give this movie a 4 out of 5 star rating. I can't wait for the rumored Harley Quin movie as well as the next chapter in the DCEU. Check out the trailer yourself if you haven't seen the movie already. The trailers were amazingly done to fit the soundtrack background. Some of the best trailers I have seen were the ones for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment