Friday, June 17, 2016

The Steel Kiss by Jeffery Deaver

25861995

Jeffery Deaver is my favorite author. It is because of him that I became the avid reader and hopeful one day author. Every time he has a new book out I can't wait to start it. Thanks to Netgalley and Mr Deaver's publisher I was able to read this as an advanced reader copy. It took me a little longer to finish it so by the time I post this the book will be out, but I was still really excited to start this one early. 

This book messed me up. The beginning of this book shattered the Lincoln Rhyme world I know and I was more interested in my favorite characters than the main story. Let me explain. Lincoln is no longer working crime scenes for the police and is now teaching. Amelia is not staying with Rhyme as often as she used to and is dealing with her mom's health issues. To complicate matters even more for Amelia her ex-boyfriend who was a cop and in prison is out and looking for her help to clear his name. At this point I was so thrown by the fact that Rhyme is not doing the one thing that gave him the will to live I didn't think things could shock me any more. Then I read about Ron Pulaski, he is the beat cop that worked closely with Rhyme and Amelia. Ron is out looking to score these designer drugs to help with his headaches caused by a head injury he got in an earlier book. This is a lot of information I know but this all happens in the first few chapters and there are so many ways this little plot line could go.  

Deaver is always great with coming up with really interesting killers and this guy is no exception. Our killer has found a way to hack into the digital controllers of household appliances or common electronics and use them as long distance weapons. The idea  that something I use every day can be used to kill me is terrifying. The book opens with a guy using an escalator and the access  panel at the top pops open and he falls into the gears. Never could I have thought about this being a possibility. The realism of the situation is really scary and that is something I love about Deaver's writing. He can terrify the reader to the bone without being overly gory. The theme of over consumerism runs deep in our killer but something feels off about this guy. I always try to figure out Deaver's books and never have succeed. I had this feeling that something was off about this guy and there was a lot more to the story than was revealed. Let's just say I wasn't disappointed.

I really could go on and on about this book and never feel like there is enough to say. I may be a bit biased because Deaver is one of my favorite authors but this is another 5 star read in my book.  I highly recommend this book. There is a novella that Deaver wrote that kind of goes along with this but at the time I am writing this I haven't read it yet. The novella comes before this book but you can read the Steel Kiss without having read that first. I did just for that reason to see if there was anything I was going to miss out on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment