Friday, June 10, 2016

The Journals of Eleanor Druse by Eleanor Druse (Stephen Kin)

The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident

I was looking for a book when I was at the library and as always I check the audio book section for Stephen King books I haven't read. This book was shelved and labeled as a Stephen King book. I really liked Rose Red and then the Diary of Ellen Rimbauer. This is a prequel to the TV show Kingdom Hospital and I thought why not. Now of course I know Eleanor Druse is a fictional character but it makes for a fun experience. I have heard that the real author is Richard Dooling because he co wrote the series with King. I kind of hope this was written by someone other than King because this book opens with a letter from Eleanor praising King and his talent. To write your own letter of praise is not cool. 

The book started out with so much promise. Eleanor is able to feel the presence of a young girl who has been trapped in the hospital. She makes it her mission to find out who this girl is and what happened. This brings on a near death experience and she wakes up in a Boston hospital being checked for brain injuries. While in this hospital she has a roommate that can't move speak or comprehend what is going on. There seems to be a lot of emphasis placed on this roommate that she isn't allow to see or speak to and nothing even comes of this story. Or maybe something did and I just glazed over it because I just wanted to get to the end. Now Eleanor claims to be a medium so of course they find something wrong with her brain. The doctors prescribe her medications that take that ability away from her.

Here is where I checked out. This section of the story seemed to drag on forever and was just dull. I realize this is to set up a larger story for the television series but come on. The very begining had so much promise and sounded so interesting, but this fell flat. By the time this section was over and we started to get back to the main plot of the story I didn't care about this book anymore. It was short so I just wanted to finish it and move on. It took over half the book to start to get interesting.

I was really let down by this book. I need a new King book to read to get the bad taste of this one out of my head. Sure none of that made sense but I know what I mean. I do want to watch the show if I get the chance because I have enjoyed the stuff made from King's books. As much as it pains me to do this I have to give this book 1.5 stars and I will round up to 2. My scale to decide to round up or down on a 1.5 star book is if I have read books worst or not. I have read books worse than this one but not many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment