Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Finders Keepers by Stephen King

22453035

When you think of Stephen King, most peoples first thought is of the Horror novels he writes. There are a ton of amazing novels that will scare the pants of you like IT, The Shining, and Salem's Lot. These are just a few of my favorites but something I have been pleasantly surprised by is his mystery writing. I really liked Mr Mercedes and when I heard it was part of a trilogy with the same characters I got really excited. It took me awhile to finally get to this book but it was well worth the read. 

This book is about a vengeful reader who feels his favorite author sold out and destroyed his very favorite character. Wanting to steal the rumored unpublished work takes a violent turn. Clearing the author's safe, Morris Bellamy hides the notebooks and stolen money he stole only to be arrested for a different crime leaving them behind. Flash forward to 30 years later when these are found by a young man named Pete Saubers.

Now I am going to be honest here, when you think of a trilogy with the same characters you expect to have these characters front and center. Bill Hodges was the retied detective in Mr Mercedes and who the trilogy is based around. He doesn't show up till about 200 pages into the book. The first part is all set up with Peter and Morris which would normally loose my interest because of all the back story but not with this book.

Here is the beauty of Stephen King. King is a master at writing memorable characters that you can just love from the very beginning. Morris is our villain but he has depth and is very well written so I didn't mind reading all about his story and about how we got to the present day. The other great thing about King that I really enjoy is how he ties everything together. This book directly links to the events of Mr Mercedes and these characters have little things in their history that ties everyone together in one way or another.

This isn't a book that grabs you from the very beginning and wont let up till the very last page. This is a story. This is like a ladder, the story builds slowly laying the foundation for one heck of an ending. It is always tough for me to read an actual book. I just don't have time which is why most of the books I read are audio. When I got to the end of this book I could't put it down. I must apologize to my kiddos because this past weekend I spent a lot of it on the couch reading instead of playing with them. I could go on and on about this book but I will end it here with my rating. I really liked the story and enjoyed every bit of it, but I couldn't help comparing this to Mr Mercedes. This was not as good so I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend this series and I can't wait to read the final book in the trilogy which is out in June 2016. 

No comments:

Post a Comment