Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Soul Survivor by Dean Koontz

16431

I have to say that I am not a huge Dean Koontz fan. My wife was with his earlier work but there came a point when his books just got really weird and our interest faded. I have some of his books that I really liked, Tick Tock and Life Expectancy to name a few. This was another book that kept popping up in my hunt for horro books for the R.I.P. challenge. I figured I would give it a try. Let's just say I was expecting a horror novel and this isn't.

The book is all about a man who is suffering after the loss of his wife and two daughters in a plane crash. Wanting to die he goes to visit the graves one last time. When he arrives he finds a strange woman taking pictures of the headstones and FBI types following him. This opens the book up to what could have been a really interesting suspense thriller. Sadly about half way through the book my interest tanked. I couldn't keep focused and my mind kept wandering. I was mechanically reading just to get through this. It also seemed about this point that the story was just all over the place. My lack of focus might have had something to do with this but I'm not sure. I will own up when my dislike of a book is my own doing but I really tried to like this. 

By the end of this book I was so happy to be finished with this. I felt the ending was terrible. It felt like the book started out to be one thing and Koontz forgot how he started the story so it ended as if it was a different story. I was really disappointed. This started out with so much potential and then just lost me. It's over and I can move on. I give this 2 out of 5 stars and really it was more like 1.5 stars. I also had every intention in including this in my R.I.P. challenge but I'm going to skip it. I have already had enough books to complete the challenge more than two times and this is not what I was expecting being at the top of several horror fiction lists. So I decided to save this review till after the challenge and just focus on my Halloween week posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment