Monday, October 12, 2015

The Box by Richard Matheson

6376283

Thanks to the R.I.P. challenge and a little web search I have found another book I might have missed otherwise. I was able to get an audio version of this book and I learned one thing. I do not like short story collections in audio. Nothing against this book at all but there were times that the transition between stories wasn't enough of a pause that I thought the story I was just listening to was still going and then I got lost and had to go back. Short story collections on audio are just not good for me. I love them but I think I will stick with the Kindle or paper versions. 

Ok, on to the book itself. This was a fun collection. There were some stories that I really liked and others that just fell flat for me. There is always one or two stories in a collection that don't work for everyone. I have only found a few collections that have had every story be a winner. With this book there were a few stories that really stuck with me and it was the ones that had the best twist ending. My favorite is of course the most well known story in this collection "Button Button". This is the one that was made into a movie about an offer to a couple by a mysterious stranger. Press the button and you can have a huge sum of money but someone you don't know dies and you wont have to watch. What a premise. You could have a life changing sum of money but someone will die. Could you live with that thought hanging over you? Everyone could use a life changing sum of money but the thing is, I couldn't live with the guilt knowing I was the cause of someone else's death. People die all the time through war, disease, and terrible people doing terrible things but I don't want to be one of those terrible people. 

The other story I really liked was "No Such Thing as a Vampire". This is very similar to the story of Dracula but with a twist at the end I didn't see coming. That twist was what made this such a great story. I enjoyed a few others but this review would drag on way to long if I went into each one. This book is one I will read again and I will read it instead of listen to it. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. 

This will be included in my R.I.P. challenge and this is the 8th book I have read for this challenge. I have now completed the Peril in the First twice. I've said it before and I will say it again. I love this challenge. It is my favorite of all the blogging events I take part in and I look forward to it every year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment