Friday, October 16, 2015

Aquaman Vol 5 Sea of Storms by Jeff Parker

21524959

I have loved this series since The New 52 started and Geoff Johns made Aquaman a likable character for the first time in DC history.  I am always a little nervous when a new writer takes over for one of my favorites because it is usually never as good. Geoff Johns I think laid a decent ground work for the character that this book was still good but I felt not as strong as previous volumes. 

There is so much that is going on in this book I don't know where to begin or what I can say that wont spoil some aspect of this book. I will, as always, do my best to not spoil anything but it is going to be tough and a shorter review. The book opens with the discovery of something very old and very large waking up very angry. This calls into question Arthur's right to rule Atlantis among some of the people but they already hate him anyway so this is a very small plot point. We then move on to a gate which is believed to open the gate between Atlantis and the surface world but has a far more sinister purpose. This leads to Arthur's need to call in some back up. Wonder Woman has a good size roll in this and I always enjoy a good team up. We also get another DC hero in this volume too.

The art work is very well done in this book and I wish I had some examples but I got this on in hard cover and it is difficult to get a good picture. There is so much detail in this book that I really enjoyed it. The artwork compliments the story very well. One last thing that I will mention about this book because I am just stumped what else to add before I give you my rating. It looks like in this volume we might be seeing the creation of a new villain to go up against Arthur in future books. 

I enjoyed this book even if it wasn't as good as the earlier volumes. I easily give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I am very interested to see where Arthur's story goes. I will have to get the next volume soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment