Friday, September 18, 2015

The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker

23014674

I was so excited when I saw this book pop up on Goodreads. I love the Hellraiser movies no matter how terrible and cheesy they may be. The Hellbound heart was a great book and I read that in highschool which was a really long time ago. Having a new book with Pinhead and the rest of Hell following behind him was something I couldn't wait to read. Expectations can really ruin a book in my experience. I had this so buildt up in my mind that there was only one way this book could go and that is to disappointment. 

The prologue was amazing. Violent and gruesome just like you would expect from a cenobite scene. The last of the remaining magicians from the order of magic are pooling their talents to finally be rid of the Demon Hell priest fans know as pinhead. From there I began to lose interest. As the book progressed it seemed to get dull and my mind started to wander away from the story. I can always tell when I am starting to loose interest in a book when I am reading it but not thinking about anything I am reading. A good portion of this book is set in Hell itself and it didn't feel real. We all have ideas of what Hell may be like or what it might look like. This felt more like our characters had walked into a cartoon or a comic book version of Hell. 

This is all leading up to a battle between our supernatural detective hero, Pinhead, and the devil himself. By the time I got to this climax I just wasn't invested in the events. It also didn't help having the architecture of Hell tour last way to long. I really didn't care about all of the details on the Chapel of Hell where Lucifer himself lives. I zoned out for a good portion of their walk through Hell and I had to go back to make sure I didn't miss anything. Nope, didn't miss a thing except the extra time I took to go back and re-read.

I started out loving this book but as things progressed I found myself just anxious to finish it so I could move on to something else. Clive Barker is a talented writer but I don't feel he showed it with this book. I will take part of the blame for not liking this all that much because I had such high expectations that I made it impossible for this to live up to those. Still I am going to give this book 2 out of 5 stars. I'm glad I read it but it won't be on a re-read list I think. I am including this as part of my R.I.P Challenge and this is the 3rd of 4 books for the Peril the First. Only one more book left to fulfill my goals but I have quite a few lined up that I hope to get to before this ends so keep checking my site as well as the R.I.P. site for my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment