Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Hospital by Keith C. Blackmore

16123747

I am in the middle of my Audible free trial through Amazon Prime. I have to admit that I am loving Audible. Trying to find some new horror novels for my R.I.P. challenge I was browsing there suggestions and came across this one. This book was a free audio book and I couldn't pass it up. Well, I wish I did. I try to never comment on an author's style because I want to be one and I wouldn't want someone to judge me to harshly, but I have a few issues with this story that I just can't get past. 

First and probably my biggest issue with this story is that you have no idea what is going on in this story. This is supposed to be a prequel to the first book in the series, Mountain Man and there is no explanation as to what is going on. For a short story it took way to long to get going and for the most part I had a feeling this was a post-apocalyptic story with Zombies but there is no actual explanation. Take two paragraphs and let us know what the world is like. We get a mention that while our main character is looting a hospital that he is most excited about finding toilet paper. Ok there is a key that this is possibly a Dystopian story but then again he could just be a homeless guy.  A quarter of the way into the story we still have no idea what is going on other than he is looting an abandoned hospital. This would have been a great time to have an interior monologue that explains what happened to the world to bring us to this point. 

The other thing I didn't care for is the main character. He isn't a likable or memorable character. Even now I can't remember what his name is and I have read the summary 3 times in trying to write this review. Thankfully the summary mentioned he is in an undead world. There are several quirks that I picked up on in the story that just kind of may be think this guy is kind of a D-bag. 

So before this review becomes longer than the story let me finish with this. Read the summary so you have a vague idea of what is going on, and if you get the free audio version on audible just skip the 2 chapter preview of the first book. Unless you really enjoy this short I wouldn't bother. It is two chapters with the same issues of not knowing what is going on with the same boring character. It isn't until halfway through chapter two that the Zombie is actually used. I give this book 1 out of 5 stars. I am going to include this in my R.I.P. challenge even though I didn't care for it so it can kind of serve as a warning to anyone who saw this free audio too. This is part of my Peril of the Short Story.

ripnineperilshort

No comments:

Post a Comment