Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Outcast Vol 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him by Robert Kirkman

23043731

I love Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead series. The plot is so well done and the characters are so great that when I heard he had another series out I had to pick it up. I had hear that this series was being made into a show for either Starz or Showtime but I can't remember which. This series revolves around demon possession and a Mysterious main character named Kyle who seems to hurt these demons. 

So here is the description from Goodreads and why I really wanted to read this: 
Kyle Barnes has been plagued by demonic possession all his life and now he needs answers. Unfortunately, what he uncovers along the way could bring about the end of life on Earth as we know it. 
Don't expect to get any of this out of Volume one other than the fact the there are a lot of people in Kyle's life that have seemingly been possessed at one time or another.  This is what bothered me so much about this book. "...what he uncovers along the way could bring about the end of life..." Nothing is uncovered in this book we still know very little about Kyle himself by the end of this. I have no idea what they are alluding to that will bring about the end of life on Earth because there is nothing in this book that even come near suggesting this. My complaints are based on this description but if you are going to build up something like this then make sure the book can follow through.

One the other side of this, not all my gripes are due to an inflated description. We learn very little about what is going on at all. I realize that Kirkman is trying to put us in Kyle's shoes and allow us to learn the answers as he does. I've seen this done by tons of authors and it works great, but in the case of this book the whole story felt disconnected and awkward. There were times that I was trying to figure out if the events I was reading were in the present or the past. Aside from a few things about Kyle's past all of this takes place in the present but it felt like flashbacks.

This book did succeed in a few ways. First and most important, it peaked my interest enough o make me want to read the next volume in hopes some of my many questions get answered. I also couldn't put this down and read straight through in one sitting. Its not hard because there isn't a lot of dialog but the pictures help move the story along.

I've rambled enough about this book so here is my rating. I may have given you the impression I didn't like this book when really it was just ok. Didn't hate it and didn't love it. I would give this 2.5 stars but will round up to 3. I will be including this review as part of my RIP challenge making this book 2 of 4 that I have pledged to read as part of the Peril in the First.

No comments:

Post a Comment