Friday, September 4, 2015

Jonathan Stange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

14201

I have seen this book around a lot but never cared to know what it was all about. At the start of summer a 7 episode mini series was made. An article about said it was like Harry Potter for grown ups. So there are magicians and they are in England and that is about where that comparison ends. Still my wife and I were anxious to watch it. Well I found another Television version I liked better than the book. The show was pretty good but there seemed to be holes in the plot that I wanted to fix by reading the book. There was good bit trimmed out to make the show and I was ok with that. There were a lot of spots in this book I could have done without. 


This book was really slow. Had I not listened to this book in audio form I never would have finished it. However, the audio version is terrible. There are footnotes throughout this book and in the audio version the story would just be interrupted so the foot note can be read and then we pick right back up until the next one. It drove me nuts so avoid the audio if this would drive you crazy too.

Now the story has some promise to it. There is a prophecy that 2 magicians will return magic back to England. There is a mysterious Raven King who used to be the most powerful magician but has since disappeared. There is Dark Magic and what is referred to as gentleman's magic. I was excited to watch this show and I really wanted to read the book. Let me tell you it is slow to get started and where the show jumps right in with both characters the bulk of the beginning revolves around Mr. Norrell. I wasn't a big fan of this character and preferred Jonathan Strange instead so right off the bat I was iffy about the book.

The book was just ok. I really don't have much else to say because I was underwhelmed. I will say that I didn't really care for the ending. I found it felt a little unresolved. I can say I have read it and move on but I do want to re-watch the series to see if I have answered some of those questions after reading this. I hate to do it but I give this book 2 out of 5 stars. I wasn't impressed and really felt like I should have stopped and moved on to something else more entertaining. This just wasn't for me I guess.

This will be my first entry into the R.I.P. challenge. This kind of fits with a Gothic style and story. I might be reaching with this book but it is hard to classify this in just one category. This goes towards my Peril in the Fist.

ripnineperilfirst

No comments:

Post a Comment