Friday, June 12, 2015

You're Making Me Hate You: A Cantankerous Look at the Common Misconception That Humans Have Any Common Sense Left by Corey Taylor


22928857

I'm a huge fan of Corey Taylor's. I love music and tend to be at both extremes of the music spectrum. I love Jazz and classics like Sinatra and Dean Martin, but on the flip side I have never grown out of my heavy metal phase. As a matter of fact, as I get older the more I enjoy the release of some face melting metal. Corey Taylor is the writer and lead singer of two bands which are both awesome. He is in Stone Sour and Slipknot.





I am a big fan of the Nerdist podcast and I saw that a few months ago Corey Taylor was on there. It was so cool to listen to him talk about all of his struggles when he was younger with drugs and alcohol and how he has moved past that. It is so weird to listen to Corey Taylor talk about his kids and being a Dad. It was also both awesome and weird to find out that Corey Taylor is just a big nerd like myself. Anyway, in the podcast he talked about his new book You're Making Me Hate You and I happened to find it on NetGalley. I was so excited when I got my approval email I jumped up and down and did a little air guitar to round out my excitement.

This is a great book, be warned that there is plenty of bad language and crazy angry rants that might be offensive to some people, but if you are a fan of Corey Taylor you should expect all that from the beginning. There are several topics in this book that I completely agree with him on. People today do seem to have a lack of common sense, and just looking at some of the shows that have been popular recently it is like we aren't smart enough to really think about what we are watching so we have shows like Family Guy that is designed to be mindless and childish in order to be popular.

I really did love this book and I couldn't help laughing out loud at different parts. I would shake the bed at night trying to stifle my laughter and not wake my wife. It was also great to get a glimpse into the life of Corey Taylor. All rants and anger aside he really is an intelligent and interesting person. It is not how I saw his life at all but then again it is hard to see the Slipknot mask and think that he is a regular guy with a family and opinions like the rest of us.

This is a really great book and I loved it. I am going to check out his other books as soon as I can work it into my large to-read list. I give this book 5 stars. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed this book and not only am I looking forward to whatever he does with Stone Sour and Slipknot next but I can't wait for his next book if and when he writes one. This is definitely a book I would recommend to anyone looking for a good laugh about all the things that drive us crazy from stupid drivers, air travel, and even the crazy trends in fashion. However, I must warn you not to read this if you are easily offended. This isn't bad but some of the language might not be to everyone's taste. So here is where I will leave you with one of my favorite songs from Stone Sour.

No comments:

Post a Comment