Monday, June 22, 2015

The Walking Dead Vol 23: Whispers into Screams by Robert Krikman

23704466

I love this show and I love these books. It has been too long since the 5th season of Walking Dead ended and I'm going through withdrawal. Thankfully my name finally came up on the reserve list for this book at my library. The last book left us with such a cliffhanger that I had been not so patiently waiting for this on. If you do not wish to have this series spoiled for you I would part ways with this post now. There really isn't any possible way to write a review about these books without giving something away at this point. 

Last chance to stop now. In the end of the last volume we are made aware of Zombies whom carry weapons and whisper to each other. Can the Zombies be growing in intelligence? At the very end one of these Zombies are killed and when one of our team go to get a closer look they see a seam. These people have skinned walkers and are wearing their skin as a flesh suit to be able to blend in with the Walking Dead. Are these people a danger to the two communities we have been following? They must be crazy to wear the festering rotting flesh of the Zombies. I personally think this would put these people in more danger because when someone sees a Walker they go straight for the head. 

We of course get answers to these questions but the bulk of this story is all about Carl. He has left the nest and moved to the other community to gain some independence from his Dad Rick Grimes. He is trying to become a man even when his childhood was lost when the Zombie Apocalypse began. we get to see all kinds of sides to Carl which really helps further flesh out this character. I liked this book just because of getting to know more about Carl. There was still plenty of suspense in this book with some of our other well known characters but this was the highlight. 

I enjoyed this book a lot. It wasn't one of the best ones I have read but it cam pretty close. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. It could easily be 4.5 our of 5 but I decided to round down for those sites that don't allow half stars. This series keeps getting better and better. This book seemed to wrap things up pretty well for the story line that has run quietly in the back ground for the last three books, but there are a few loose ends that could become larger stories on their own. It all depends on where the writers want to take us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment