Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Detective Comics Vol 6: Icarus by Francis Manapul


I have no idea how long it has been since I have read Detective comics. I remember reading it shortly after Infinite Crisis when Bruce was missing and Batwoman was the lead character in this book. I think that had to be at least 5 years ago. When I saw this available on Net Galley I had to request it. Thank you to Net Galley and DC Comics for allowing me to read and review this.

I always loved this series. Of course the main series Batman is my all time favorite but this was one I looked forward to every month. I even had a subscription to this so every month the new issue would be sent to my house. I miss those day and I'm not even sure they do subscriptions like that any more. The thing I liked best about this series is just how dark it is. Here is a story about a new drug about to hit the streets of Gotham that has one of the oddest side effects I have ever seen. If you overdose or just can't handle the poison then you will bust into flame from the inside out. A drug made by radiation is the deadliest thing Gotham has seen in awhile. Batman must follow what ever trails he can to this drug from going in to distribution. 

Not only are the stories in this series darker and gritty but so is the art work. Even with the dark shadowing there is still a great bit of detail in each panel and I like the way that Brian Buccellato draws Batman. He stays very close to the traditional version while making him tough and frightening. I love this Panel on the right. The shading from the lightening in the background really makes this an incredible piece of artwork.If I could remove the dialog bubble I would blow up this one panel and frame it. I think it would look great in my home office where I do my writing when I get one.

Since the death of Damian I have noticed a slight trend in the Batman stories. There is at least one character in each series there is a young character who Batman seemed concerned about. In this book the daughter of one of Bruce Wayne's friend is wrapped up in a dangerous situation and Batman is looking out for her. There is a stronger paternal aspect to Batman these days and as a father I like this. It makes the character more human without loosing the intensity.

This was a great book and I really want to go back and read the earlier volumes. I also can't wait to see where this story goes. It has been a long time since I read this series but I am glad to have found my way back. I might even see if I can get a hold of the books I missed with Batwoman and try to catch up there as well. I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. For the sake of Goodreads and other sites I will leave this at 4 stars.  



No comments:

Post a Comment