Monday, May 18, 2015

Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben

43928

I have read a few books by Harlan Coben but it wasn't until the last two, Six Years, and Missing You that really got me hooked on his writing. When I saw that he had a series I figured I would give it a try. Myron Bolitar is a sports agent and the main character of this series. Now I am a huge Hockey fan but the rest of pro sports I know very little about. I wasn't sure how I was going like this but wanted to at least give this book a try. 

Even though Bolitar is a fairly likable character I wasn't a fan of the slimy, sleazy world of a sports agent. Thankfully there isn't a ton of that in the book. Bolitar may be a sports agent but at the request of a client and his ex girlfriend he plays detective. I would have rather read a detective novel than this kind of story if I am being honest. 

One of Bolitar's new clients has lost his fiance and of course the police are focused on the boyfriend. Turns out the ex fiance was the sister of Bolitar's ex girlfriend so he also has a personal stake in finding out what happened to her. A picture surfaces that makes it seem like she might still be alive. This was a very interesting concept for a story which I have seen done by other authors, but each has had their own spin on it. There was something that held my attention throughout but it wasn't until the last quarter of the book that really got good. 

This was a decent book and I did enjoy it but I expected more. Considering this is one of his earlier books there is a good chance Harlan Coben has honed his skills and improved. That might be why I have enjoyed his recent work versus his older books. Not sure this series is for me yet. I also haven't decided if I am going to move on to the next book in this series. I do love his one shot novels and can't wait to get to his new book The Stranger. I'm kind of on the fence on this book. I liked it but still expected more from this. I give it a 3 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment