Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Batman/Superman Vol 3: Second Chance by Greg Pak


So this book begins with a microscopic city in Batman's head that has put him in a coma. REALLY??? This seems like the dumbest story opener I've ever read. It must spin right off from Volume 2 but I don't remember anything about this. The book just opens with Batman unconscious and Superman asking Ray Palmer for help. I guess this is the only way they could guest star Ray Palmer in the book.

Thankfully this is a small part of the book and it is rather short. The rest of the book seems to feel like a collection or random stories that jumped around from stories that started in the previous two volumes. This book just felt off to me. We have the god of Chaos showing up again and she wipes the memories of Superman and Batman to see what happens. The whole thing is for amusement. Superman has no morals instilled by his earth parents so it is very easy for him to be turned towards a ruthless god figure, and Batman without the pain and loss of his parents Death is a much softer more confused semi hero. I will be honest and say I wasn't a fan of where this book went.

The one thing that I do like in each volume I have read is the underlying friendship of Bruce and Clark. I like how Batman does his best to be stoic and yet her still can't shale the fact that he likes help from Clark from time to time. The writing was very well done so I have to give Greg Pak credit, I just didn't care for the story. It may be hard to believe but a book can be well written but still fall short of expectations.

I really don't mean to be so negative on this review. Being granted this as an advanced copy by DC Comics and Edelweiss was an absolute joy. I just have to be honest and say I was a little disappointed in this book when volumes 1 and 2 were so good. This in no way has put me off the series and I am anxious to see if Volume 4 helps make sense of this book. I will of course throw my name in to be a reviewer if ti is offered, lets see what happens and if I will have the next review to post. It pains me a great deal to have to give this 2 out of 5 stars but compared to what I had waiting behind this to read and review, this was the weakest of the bunch.

2 comments:

  1. I just got Vol. 2 from the library. I did request vol. 3 through Edelweiss but didn't get to reading it just yet. I am a little behind on reading and blogging... my laptop broke but now it's back. I kept putting off fixing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Vol 2 but was disappointed with this one. I'm curious to see what you think. Sorry to hear about your laptop. Glad you got it working again. I have missed the blog stuff. I've been lazy myself and haven't visited any or kept up with my own.

    ReplyDelete