Monday, May 25, 2015

Batman Earth One: Vol 2 by Geoff Johns

R23012543

Let me start by saying I know this is an alternate earth than what we are used to with Batman but there are a few things that irk me about this Batman. This is a continuation of Batman's origin story from the first volume. Bruce seems to be kind of a wimp being pushed into the whole Batman thing by his badass butler Alfred. Which brings me to my next little irk, I am not a fan of the angry violent pushy Alfred. Now that I have gotten my little issues out of the way let me tell you what I liked about this book.

The writer of this book is Geoff Johns one of my favorite comic authors of all time. He didn't disappoint. This volumes has the origin story of the Riddler and Killer Croc, well maybe not "Killer" Croc. The Riddler is terrorizing Gotham with several mass murders. Is there another agenda or is he just trying to take out as many citizens as he can to raise the body count. The story was great and the art work was pretty good, but I have to admit I wasn't a bog fan of the Bat-suit in this book.

Better than the Frank Miller Bat-Suit but not as good as the traditional suit drawn by Jim Lee. However, the art work in this is really great. I have to give credit to Jon Sibal. His detail is just amazing. I have read some comics that would not have gone to the trouble to define each brick like in this picture here.

Killer Croc was so detailed every single scale and detail was just perfect. The story and plot is the main reason I read comics but a good artist can still make or break these books. Of course my all time favorite artists are Jim Lee and Alex Ross but Jon Sibal impressed me.

Even though the Earth One series is different form the original history I like this series. I may have little issues with different changes but over all these are just great. I have to thank Net Galley and DC Comics for allowing me to read this and review it. I hope there is a volume 3 to this. I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

When thinking about how to rate this book I easily can give this 4 out of 5 stars. I flew through this book and was kind of bummed when I got to the end. I wanted more of for this to just keep going. 

2 comments:

  1. I had a very poor opinion of vol. 1 because of all this alternate history to the batman story. I kept thinking "why are we re-inventing this again??" But i really tried to let go of that this time for this volume and ended up loving vol. 2. The things you mention bugged me too, but on the otherhand are pretty cool too. The almost role reversals of batman and alfred, while not being impressive for bruce, sure is an interesting change of pace for Alfred! Killer Croc is a favourite villain of mine so I loved what they did with him. I'm looking forward to the next vol too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I had a tough time with the differences of the Batman origin in Vol 1, but then I had to remind myself this isn't our world of heroes. It's nice to know the little things that bugged me were the same that bugged you. I no longer feel alone in this.

    I liked what they did with Croc but this was really different.

    ReplyDelete