Thursday, March 12, 2015

Triptych by Karin Slaughter

21717
Triptich

So I did things a little backwards. The first book I read by Karin Slaughter was Fractured which is the 5th book in the Will Trent series. I am finally getting around to catching up to where I am now so I was really excited to read this book. Lets just say I wasn't real impressed. 

The book starts out following another detective named Michael so right away I was a little thrown. As with a lot of Karin Slaughter's book it involves violent crime against young women. Will inserts himself into the case before the chief can ask for outside help. Here is where I get a little lost. I might have missed something, but I am pretty sure the reason that Will shows up to make himself part of the case is never explained. I kept waiting but I don't remember getting it. 

The next little hiccup that bugged me about this book is the switch between story points of view. I normally like seeing the villian's side of the story to see what exactly they are thinking, but the changes felt off to me. The story would be moving along and then it would switch with out reason. I can understand to build suspense by switching points of view but that wasn't the case here. 

Just when I thought this was going to be a waste of a read and one of my least favorite books Karin Slaughter pulls everything together and the last quarter of the book was pretty good. Considering this is book one in the Trent series I was really hoping to get more background on him. Will is a great character with a lot of deep dark secrets. He is a very complex character and I have been wanting to dive into his history fro a long time. My hope is that one of these early books has the answers to questions I have had for several books. I can't wait to move on to the next book in the series and see what happens next.

I am going to give this book 3 out of 5 stars. For the most part I was thinking it was only going to be a 2 star read but the ending made up for some of my gripes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment