Monday, February 2, 2015

The Sequel by R. L. Stine

24706859

R. L. Stine was one of the only authors I would read as a kid. I wasn't big into reading and hated being told I had to read something for school. However, I really enjoyed the series Goosebumps, and the Box Car Children. R. L. Stine's Goosebumps series was a lot of fun to read and just scary enough to be entertaining but not to scary to keep me up at night with nightmares. I loved those books.

I was asked by the publisher to give this a read and review it through Net Gallley. I have to admit I was really excited to not only be asked to read and review this but that it was a throwback to my childhood. This book is written for adults I guess it reads very well and being a Bibliomystery it's short. 

I'm going to be honest and when I started reading this I was kind of disappointed. This book is about an author who hit it big with his first novel and is now being pressured into writing a sequel he doesn't want to write. While contemplating his next book he is accosted by a man who  claims that he wrote the book and our author stole it from him. The beginning of the story felt like I was reading Stephen King's Secret Garden Secret Window. I felt that Stine could have done a better job of writing a story that wasn't just a new twist on an old story. 

Then things changed and I really liked this story. I don't want to give anything away because this is definitely a story any fan of a good short story should read. The twist at the end was great and made up for the slow start at the beginning. I really enjoyed this short story and I am interested in checking out some of the other books from R. L. Stine for adults. I mean his fiction novels and not the YA stuff. I'm going to give this 4 out of 5 stars, really I would say this is more like 4.5 and I am very grateful to have been asked to review this story. 

2 comments:

  1. I still have fond memories of those cold, dark mornings, driving you boys to school and listening to the Goosebumps audiobooks. Good to know that Stine is writing for adults now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the audio books but I remember being so excited to get the scholastic book order forms in school so I could have you order the newest ones. I'm glad the R L Stein is still writting and that he is doing some adult fiction.

    ReplyDelete