Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Black Book of Secrets by F E Higgins

180455

I saw this book on Goodreads and it sounded pretty good. It sat in my to-read list for awhile until I saw it available in audio at my library. I gave it a try and liked it. I didn't know what to think at first because it started off pretty bleak. Our Main character Ludlow Fitch is with his parents and they are selling his teeth. Yes, you read it correctly, Ludlow's Parents took him to a man who is going to rip out his teeth and buy them from his parents. As a parent I couldn't believe anyone would do something like this to their children. Well, Ludlow escapes and runs away only to meet Joe Zabbidou. Zabbidou is a Secret Pawn Broker.  

What's a Secret Pawn Broker? Well his shop is pretty well known by everyone in the town and the kids love to visit his shop to see his pet frog so what makes him Secret? Zabbidou buys the secrets of all the towns people to protect till the end of time and allow these people to feel relief from the burdens they carry. I really thought this was an interesting idea. Just like the questions about what is a Secret Pawn Broker, there are plenty of interesting questions that are raised throughout the book. There is some slower sections but I really couldn't stop thinking about what was going to happen in this quite little town. 

I really enjoyed this book. It seems like this is part of a series where each book revolves around different characters. I am kind of bummed that there isn't another book following Luldlow and his collection of secrets. Still, reading some of the titles, I am curious to give these other books a read. 

I give this book a solid 4 out of 5 stars. I liked this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good story. It is an easy read and I'm glad I took a chance and read this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment