Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Nightwing Vol 3: Death of the Famliy by Kyle Higgins

17737072

Death of the Family is one of my favorite Batman stories I have ever read. I couldn't wait to get to this book in my attempt to catch up on Nightwing. I loved seeing this side of the story and it was amazing. In some of the other books like the Teen Titans Death of the Family there really isn't much with the Joker. The big tie in is the scene in the cave that is in all of these books. In Nightwing he goes up against the clown prince of crime himself with some deeply personal costs.

Just as Dick Greyson gets the carnival up and Haley's Circus settled in Gotham the Joker returns. Killing one of Dick's friends who dresses as a clown is only the beginning. I don't want to give away any part of this story because it was amazingly written. The art work was also really good. The Joker is so detailed in this book. His face is stretched so tight you can see the muscles where the skin doesn't meet. In case you didn't know, earlier in the Joker's story his face was cut off. He now wears it as a mask.

This is my favorite graphic novel so far this year. I only have one more volume till I'm caught up with the Nightwing series since I have already read Vol 5. I really would love to go on and on about this book but the story is to good to risk spoiling anything for a potential reader and I hate spoilers. As this is one of my favorites it is easy to say this is 5 out of 5 stars. I can't wait to get to the next volume because there was a bit of a cliffhanger at the end of this. 

2 comments:

  1. Have you actually read the whole Death in the Family volume?? This is included in that one so it was really just a repeat of a comic I had already read. Death in the Family is amazing though ... so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the Batman Vol 3 but I haven't read the big Joker volume yet. I'm sure I will re-read a lot of the stuff all over again, but I loved this story line. As to the series, I still need to read the Batman & Robin, Red Hood, and Batgirl to read all of the series that were part of this.

    ReplyDelete