Last year was my first year participating in this survey and I loved it. This is put together by The Perpetual Page Turner's End of Year Survey. I found this on a friend's blog and had to fill it out for myself, now I hope to make this my own annual post here.
Number Of Books You Read:
Last year I read 103 books, most of those were either Graphic novels or Audio books but I count them
Number of Re-Reads:
I had 1 maybe 2 re-reads this past year. I re-read The Strain because of the first season of the show, and I sort of re-read NOS4A2 also. I read it and made it almost half way through when it first came out but then gave up. I actually started it over last year and finished it so its half a re-read.
Genre You Read The Most From:
I would say Comics, and probably Horror but most of the books considered horror were disappointing.
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
For me it was The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan, I really like the Percy Jackson series but was kind of let down by this one.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
For me it wasn't a book but a series. The Last Apprentice series was better than expected.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
I always tell people how great The October List by Jeffery Deaver and I got a few more to read it this past year.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best Series: Last Apprentice. Best Sequel: Didn't really read one. Best series Ender: Locke and Key Vol 6 Alpha & Omega by Joe Hill
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
I guess I would have to say Joseph Delaney for the Last Apprentice series. Otherwise I didn't read many new authors I liked.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
This past year I didn't really step out of my comfort zone.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Sadly I didn't really have one this year. I don't have much time to read physical books so as much as I loved Skin Collector, there would be sometimes weeks in between reads and there really weren't any audio books I couldn't stop listening to this year.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
There wasn't one book that warrants a re-read so soon but I eventually want to do a re-read of all of Jeffery Deaver's books and Wonderstruck is one I will want to re-read to the kiddos.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Well, Batman, Sherlock Holmes, and Lincoln Rhyme are some of my favorites, but as new characters go this one has to go to Tom Ward and the Spook from the last apprentice series.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Its kind of a stretch but The Keeper by John Lescroart is one that might fit. The Main character is a suspect in his wife's disappearance much like Gone Girl, but his in-laws right away start attacking him and ripping him apart. It made me wonder what would happen if I was in that situation. I would hope my in-laws would help fight for my innocence but who knows.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
This has to be The Green Mile by Stephen King. I saw the movie when it first came to video and lvoed it but never got around to reading the book till this past year.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Wow, I can't believe I don;t really have one of these books this year. I will however go with Trouble in Mind by Jeffery Deaver as a close match. This is a collection of short stories and some of these had amazing twists in them.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)I have no idea what this is. I'm old and out of touch I guess (Didn't really think 31 was old but it sure feels that way sometimes). Since this is a One True Pairing I am going to say Peanut Butter and Jelly. Not a book but the bulk of my lunches and you just can beat this. Chocolate and peanut butter come close though.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Going to have to go with Tom Ward and the Spook again from The Last Apprentice series.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
This will be a toss up between The Skin Collector and The Green Mile.
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
This one goes to the Percy Jackson series. My wife and a friend of mine are huge fans of this series and I finally caved and gave it a read.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
I tend to not go all fangirly so I can't say I have a crush on a book or character.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
I didn't have one. I really need to pay closer attention to debut reads this year and see if I can better answer this question next year.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
This is a tough one because a lot of books I read last year had some great scenes but this will go to The Green Mile. The prison was so detailed I could see it in my mind like I was there.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
I would say I am going to have to give up my man card but I'm not afraid to say I got teary at the end of The Green Mile.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
This one for me was Wonderstruck. I was just so impressed with this book.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
I didn't have one this year. I did have one that disappointed me so much I stopped reading an author I used to love and that is Break No Bones by Kathy Reichs.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The Copper Bracelet, the way all of these authors with different styles could write one chapter and make it feel like the same book while keeping their own style identity was impressive
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
This for me was Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I've never bee so disappointed in a series and not cared how it ends just that it ended.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been blog hopping much this past year. I have stuck with my regular favorites and not branched out.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I don't get much discussion on my blog but this year I did voice my opinion on a nasty blog post on how people should be ashamed if the are adults reading YA. I never get into these types of discussions but I had some strong feelings and took a leap. My post was titled Proud to read what I WANT!!!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I love participating in the Graphic Novel challenge, RIP, and Bout of Books every year.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
My one year anniversary for blogging.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My posts only get a comment or two but looking over my stats the post that got the most views this year was for Monkey Me and the Golden Monkey by Timothy Roland. Maybe it got spammed but it has gotten more views than my review for Big Hero 6.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I kind of wish all my posts got a little more love but I really don't do anything to promote my blog so it is all my fault.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Life has been pretty busy for me in 2013 so I really didn't find any new book sites that were amazing. I will happily accept recommendations though.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I surpassed my Goodreads goal of 100 books by 3 this past year.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
I got Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz for Christmas and I can't wait to get to it. I know it came out at the end of 2014 but this is a non-debut.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I don't have one yet but I'm looking and open to recommendations.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
I believe Jeffery Deaver has a new Kathryn Dance book coming out this year and I always enjoy those.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
I am going to work on posting some of my original writing on my blog this year.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I haven't read anything stellar just yet.