Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Nightwing Vol 5: Setting Son by Kyle Higgins

21991166

I did things a little backwards. I have only read Vol 1 of the New 52 reboot, but when this became available through Edelweiss as an Advanced reader copy I jumped at the chance to put my name in the ring. I was fortunate enough to be granted a copy from DC Comics and I am very grateful. Nightwing is one of my favorite superheroes. I always loved the lighter side Dick Greyson brought as Robin to the Dynamic Duo. When he left the cave to become his own man as Nightwing I was hooked. I always enjoyed the stories that he came back into to, and then when he was rebooted the first time with the new black and blue suit I collected every single issue till Battle For the Cowl when Nightwing's series ended. 

I really liked this Vol even if I was a little lost at times. I have heard from friends what all is going on with Dick in his series so I wasn't spoiled by anything, but still a little lost. This book is a collection of stories from Dick's past. Starting out early on with him as a boy in the circus with his Mom and Dad still alive. Then we move onto modern day with a pretty good story guest staring Batgirl herself. The writing on these was great and I couldn't put this book down. I'm already heading to get Vol 2 so I can catch up on all that I missed. 

The art work on this book was also really good for the most part. There is a section with Batman that was to dark which made the characters seem to lack detail. The rest of the book was really well done and fit the stories perfectly. This is one of my favorite graphic novels I have read this year and there are a lot. I can't wait to get caught up because I am really curious to see where Nightwing's story takes him from here. There are a few series that have had a really good story line since the New 52 began. Some of my favorite heroes have had less then stellar stories and I kind of wish things would go back to the way they were. Nightwing has grown and been one of the best stry lines I have read and for now I have only read the beginning and the present. Kyle Higgins has had a great run on this series and if the books in between are as good as this I'm in for quite a ride.

I've gushed for long enough about Nightwing so let me get to the rating. In case you haven't figured it out I am giving this 5 out of 5 stars. I loved this and can't wait to catch up on all I have missed.

2 comments:

  1. I have this on hold at the library. I think this is the last volume of Nightwing right?? I am going to look it up.. yeah I think it is. I am sad about that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it might be. This whole volume seemed like a retrospective on Nightwing and ended with where he is now. I'm sure Nightwing isn't gone forever though. He is to big of a charater to do this too. I give it a year.

    ReplyDelete