Monday, November 17, 2014

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro

6065215

I read this book in 2011 long before I knew this was going to be a television show. When the show started I was really curious to see how they were going to do the special effects. The trailer for it looked awesome so my wife and I decided we were going to watch this. I was hooked on the show right from the start. 



The show was great, the book however was not my favorite. The idea is terrifying, a plan lands and everyone on it is dead. Later the bodies begin to get up and infect the rest of the city spreading quickly. When I read the book and reviewed it the first time I only gave it 2 stars. It was hard to keep my focus on the book and I was getting really bored. Since I love the show I decided to give this book one more try. 

I liked it a little more but it was still really boring for about half of the book. The story seemed to drag on and on before anything really interesting happened. A lot of CDC talk and bodies in cold storage. The show doesn't have the luxury of a slow build. On a re-read I did enjoy this book a bit more this time around. Between the show and my re-read I am interested in finishing out the trilogy. I have already put myself on the waiting list for the audio book at the library.

The one thing I have to say about this book is that the Vampires are different with their straw like suckers that come from their throat, but they are ruthless. These vampires are exactly how they should be, they only have one thing on their mind and that is to feed and infect everyone. I am bumping my original rating from 2 stars to 3 out of 5 stars. Still not the best book I've read but I am going to see what book two brings. I know that in trilogies the first book is really just setting the stage. My hope is that the next book blows me away.  

2 comments:

  1. I tried to listen to this book on audio once and just didn't get into it. I do really like the show though. I can't wait for the next season. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the show. The special effect are great and this moves much faster than the book. I don't say this very often but the show is better than the book. The only other show I can think of that is better than the books is Dexter.

    I'm looking forward to season 2 of the Strian also.

    ReplyDelete