Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

6473195

I'm just going to say it. This book was just Meh. I'm a huge fan of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Those are really the only classics I enjoy. Because of my love of the classic detective story I have been interested in reading Agatha Christie. This was a Kindle sale and I got it for free. Looking for a quick read I decided to go for it. I wasn't impressed.

This is labeled as Miss Marple #1 but other than a few scenes with her in it, the Vicar is really the main character of this story. Miss Marple's character isn't anything more than a nosy spinster. Maybe this is intentional but I was definitely more interested in our main character the Vicar. The book follows your classic detective story formula which made it a little predictable. There are quite a few attempts to miss lead but I wasn't swayed. 

There are some really horrible characters in this book that irritated me. Of course the main headache is the victim in the beginning so I didn't have to deal with him for long. The other is the Vicar's own wife. She is absolutely horrible and such a gossip. Even the Vicar doesn't know why he married her. There were also some spots that felt strained. The book could have been shorter had it not had what felt like filler through a good bit of this. 

Not a bad book but I was hoping to enjoy this one more than I did. It doesn't match up with Sherlock Holmes. I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. I feel like for me it is a 2.5 star read but I rounded up just to make it whole. I'm not totally off of Agatha Christie's books though. I might not be jumping to read the second book in the Miss Marple series but I do want to give the Poirot series to see if those are more enjoyable for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Ack! You're breaking my heart here. Miss Marple, and sleepy St. Mary Mead was probably not the best place to start with Christie, although her early books are better than those written at the end of her life. If you get a chance, you might try a Poirot. Still, I find few writers of mystery fiction to write better prose than Christie. Her books are simple beautifully written and cleverly plotted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

    ReplyDelete