Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Flash Vol 4: Reverse by Francis Manapul


The Flash has had some amazing story lines and even better characters who have wielded the Speed Force. Jay Garrick, Bart Allen, Wally West, and of course Barry Allen. When the New 52 started I had given up my comic book obsession because I have had to manage my money a bit more wisely. As anyone who reads my blog would know I am slowly catching up on all that I missed. The Flash is one of the series I haven't kept up on, partially because I like other super heroes more, but also because I had heard some less than favorable reviews of the series. 

As you know I'm a blogger and I try my hardest to keep up on the people's blogs that I follow. Some of them review comics and I have seen some reviews that have just torn apart this series. When I saw this offered on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to request it, and was granted an ARC of this book. Thank you to DC Comics for giving me this chance. Starting at volume 4 did leave a few questions about what all I had missed, but for the most part this was the beginning of a whole new story line. A new killer is out there targeting those who have touch the speed force. Barry Allen, being new to his powers, is doing his best to figure out what is going on. 

Since the New 52 is a reboot it is still very early in the Flash's story so we get to see his meeting with Kid Flash and the Teen titans for the first time. I like the cross over characters. It is always fun to see who pops up in the different series from time to time. We also get an origin story of the Reverse Flash. The art work in this was pretty good and I wish I would have thought to take some screen shots of it to show you. The writing was also pretty good but I miss Geoff Johns writing the Flash. As much as I enjoyed this I couldn't help but compare this with story lines like Flash Rebirth, Born to Run, and The Secrets of Barry Allen. I guess I was expecting more out of this book to be honest. I really enjoyed this book and it seems better than what I have heard about the first few volumes. 

I do really want to go back and read the first three volumes if only to form my own opinion about them. This book has made me really interested to see where Barry Allen is going to go next. For that reason and the fact that the art work was really good I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. I will happily round up to 4 when it comes to reviewing this on other sites that don't allow half stars. 

1 comment:

  1. I've always been a fan of the Flash but there have been better stories. I miss Geoff Johns writing the Flash. His stories were some of the best.

    I will agree with you about Gorilla Grodd. He isn't my favorite villain by a long margin.

    ReplyDelete