Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Last Apprentice: Rise of the Huntress by Joseph Delaney

7882883
Just when you thought there might be some peace in the lives of Tom, Alice, and the Spook everything goes horribly wrong. After the events of the last book the trio returns home to find a war has moved in and claimed the Spook’s home. They arrive just in time to see the pillar of smoke from the house burning. As quickly as possible they flee across the ocean to the island of Mona. As they arrive the locals make sure that our trio knows they are not welcome. Even though they are shunned by the town, Tom and the Spook will fight the dark that is running rampant through the town.
Now that I have dispensed with the little summary of the book I must say that I wasn’t expecting much from this at first. As I started to read I felt like this was going to be one of those stories that just heaps more and more crap on our heroes to highlight their strength and togetherness. I’m not a fan of books like that because it feels like filler. When this kind of thing happens in a series like this I feel like I wasted my time when I should have just skipped this and moved to the next book. This may have started out like filler, but then a really good plot began to form. Once I got past the beginning the story really took off.
There were some slow spots throughout the book, but that didn’t matter to me. Once I was hooked by the story I still flew through these slow moments just because I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. There was plenty of action to make up for these spots and I even flip flopped on if I liked a few characters at times.

This was a great chapter in Tom Ward’s story. This is easily a 4 out of 5 star read. I have really enjoyed this series but only one of the books has really stood out as being a 5 star read so far. I have a feeling that if the stories keep going with this kind of strength then they will only get better. I can’t wait to see what supernatural beings they encounter next, and I want more witches also.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to read this series. It has always sounded good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you think of it when ever you get around to reading it. It would make a good book club pick for your YA group on Goodreads. My wife is a big YA fan and I got her hooked on these books too. Knowing your taste in books I think this is a series you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete