Monday, July 28, 2014

The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the Witch Assassin by Joseph Delaney

11875502

"Her trade is death and torture". What a quote, I wasn't sure how I felt about this book not being a Tom and Spook story until I read this line. Yes you read this right, this book isn't necessarily the next chapter in Tom's story, but it does answer come questions. When I started this I felt like I should have just skipped this book and moved onto book 10. Why do I care what Grimalkin does when I am so wrapped up in how Tom is going to defeat the Fiend, and what his training will be now that he is finding the abilities that have been hidden within.

I'm a stubborn guy so even though I started out less than thrilled about this book, I kept going and I'm so glad I did. This is one of my favorites of the series.  We get to learn the origin story of Grimalkin and what it took for her to become the greatest of witch assassins. Her history is brought about through flash backs and her telling it, but for the most part, the story is told in present day. Grimalkin's story picks up right where we left off with her in the last book. She is being hunted by creatures of the dark and desperatly trying to help Tom get the time he needs to figure things out. It's so hard to explain what all is going in without spoilers, but I can say that the history of Grimalkin was my favorite part of the story.

I liked seeing a softer side of Grimalkin, and what her roll is in this series. It seems as if there were events that almost foretold of Tom and his quest long before he was born. The more I read the more I liked this book and the overall story line. The last few books have done a good job filling in the holes I saw in the story but this one pulled everything together.

With less than favorable expectations I was blown away. I was completely wrapped up in the story and couldn't wait to get back to the book when I wasn't reading it. As I said earlier this is one of my favorite books of the series so it won't be a surprise when I say this gets 5 out of 5 stars from me. I'm looking forward to getting back to Tom and the Spook but this was a really nice change of pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment