Friday, July 4, 2014

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

561456

The best part of this book is the ending; and I can’t tell you about it. I liked this book but wasn’t massively impressed. The ending was really good and it leaves you with some questions as well as excitement to see where the main plot is going to go. The rest of the book was just ok I thought.
So this is a YA series and a little repetition is expected from book to book but these are a bit predictable. I’m used to the Harry Potter, and Series of Unfortunate Events being the same formula book by book. In The Titian’s Curse something goes wrong that pertains to the prophecy and Percy wants to go on the quest but gets denied. Yet he somehow ends up doing it anyway, but all is forgiven in the end and he doesn’t even have to clean the latrine at camp. For the most part I don’t mind the repetition, the formula works. I just wish there was more action or something to make up for how predictable this book was. I thought it was a fun read and I love the series as a whole.
There was a lot of potential for this story to be really cool. We start out with Percy and gang trying to rescue some recently discovered half-bloods from, wait for it…… a boarding school. Yes we begin with another battle in a school that inevitably leaves damage just like the last book. The first book wasn’t in a school but the first battle happened in a museum on a school field trip. While battling this new beast Annabeth is taken. Once again, someone close to Percy is taken or in grave danger; another reoccurring formula. This may have meaning down the road but I wasn’t shocked when I read this.
I did like this book and I can’t wait to get into the next book. With the series only having five books I am close to the end and anxious for the big be all, end all battle. This book did have a lot of great/goofy one liners. I found myself chuckling quite a bit which was disturbing my coworkers. I listened to this one in audio while at work so that is why the laughter was causing issues. I like the narrator for these books in audio, but he had some of the worst accents ever. One of the characters is supposed to have a French accent but half way through trying to keep it French, he started to fault to a terrible Chinese accent. It was really funny.
What should I rate this? Hmmmm? Well I am going to give this 3 out of 5 stars. I did like it but wasn’t impressed. The funny one liners and the ending really saved this book from being pretty slow for the most part. This was a good book to have in the middle of the series because it does sort of slow things down so they can build again to the exciting climax I hope is coming. I have high hopes for the next book. I’ll let you know what I think when I get to it.

2 comments:

  1. I think I remember this being a three for me too. I wonder if this one will be made into a film or not? I did like the first two films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was definitely a middle of the story novel.

    I thought they were done with the movies. It would be cool if they did continue to make these but I was under the impression they wrapped it up pretty well in the last movie.

    ReplyDelete