Friday, June 6, 2014

The Walking Dead Vol 7: The Calm Before by Robert Kirkman

I have been waiting for this volume since the beginning.  Being a fan of the show, I knew that Lori was going to get pregnant and have her baby. This volume was a key example that the show has become its own entity. What I was expecting to happen because of what I had seen was completely wrong. I loved that I am surprised when I read these books and that the show hasn’t ruined these for me. There are some scenes that are in the show that are pulled right from the artwork of these comics, but for the most part they are now two different stories.
As always we get to learn more about our group of characters as if we were in the prison with them. These volumes are really just chapters of a larger story. We get to follow the daily routeins of each character as well as see that tempers can still run high even with the threat of zombies outside the gates. The story was very well written and I couldn’t stop reading. The cover alone had me anxious to find out what happens. No one was really ready for a baby to be born in this post-apocalyptic world. Will Lori survive giving birth and what about the baby? When my kids were born there was a barrage of machines and nurses rushing about to make sure they were healthy and strong even before I got to hold them. In this prison there wasn’t any of that; which as a nervous parent created suspense alone? I know women have been having babies for centuries without the technology we have today, but I just couldn’t imagine what it would be like in the situation Lori and Rick are in.
I don’t want to give anything away so I think I will leave this review short. What you should know about this book is that it was good. For any fan of the show this is one you have to read. I enjoyed this one and it ends with a cliffhanger, I rushed to read the next book so I could continue the story. There were a few slow areas that really don’t take away from the story but it was enough to keep me from giving this a 5 out of 5. I just wasn’t as wowed as I had hoped. I am giving this book 4 out of 5 stars and suggest that any fans of the show pick this up and read it at some point. There are things that will be confusing if you haven’t read the previous books but for the most part anyone who watches the show will be able to follow along.

No comments:

Post a Comment