Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Last Apprentice: Wrath of the Bloodeye by Joseph Delaney


Tom is in Great danger, in every book he seems to be in some sort of danger but in this one it is the focus of the plot. The Fiend is still loose and the Spook is worried that he will come to kill Tom. Fearing for his safety he sends Tom off to train with another Bill Arkwright another Spook. This other Spook is tougher with methods that might not seem appropriate and sometimes cruel. He has been known to toughen up apprentices and right now Tom is going to need all of the help he can get.
Little does John Gregory (Tom’s Spook) know that something evil awaits Tom when he arrives at Bill Arkwright’s home. Joseph Delaney introduces us to yet another form of witch in this book and I really liked this one.  The water witch is creepy and really evil; they hide deep in the dark depth of lakes and marshes. When someone gets close to the edge they will grab you and pull you under. Drowning is one of my biggest fears and this made the whole idea really creepy for me. Not being able to see what lies beneath the water waiting to grab you and pull you to your death gave me chills. This is were Tom is sent to protect him from the Fiend, whom we meet in the last book, but being on the edge of marsh land Tom is being sent to the very home of the Fiend’s daughter.
This book is very dark and that’s even compared to the others. They may be YA books but they read like some of the adult novels I have read in the past. Delaney really puts detail into his stories and that is clearly evident here. Like the other books this was a fun quick read and I am really enjoying the series. This book does do something that Delaney hasn’t done in previous and that is end with a bit of a cliffhanger. I couldn’t wait to get the next book and find out what was going to happen after the way this ended. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars, because there were a few slower parts where my mind tended to wander away from the story. I haven’t really run into this much which is why I just can’t give this 5 stars. Overall I did enjoy this installment in the Last Apprentice series and will continue with these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment