Monday, June 30, 2014

The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly

17333227

When it comes to a choice between Connelly’s series I will always go with Harry Bosch. I love the character and the investigation is really what I enjoy about those books. I like Mickey Haller but he can at times be a real sleaze ball. I’m sure this is very true to how some defense lawyers might act, but I hope it isn’t the way all of them act. Even though the stories in the Haller series are pretty good I sometimes just don’t like Haller all that much. The previous Mickey Haller book, The Fifth Witness, brought some redeeming qualities to the character. I was really excited to see him give up defense and run for District Attorney. He was turning his life around and building a relationship with his daughter and ex-wife, it looked like it was going to be a happy ending.
Well this book starts out really rough for Haller. He lost the election for District Attorney because of a scandal, his daughter wants nothing to do with him and just as he was patching things up with his Ex-wife she stops speaking to him. I really felt for the guy; fictional or not sometimes you can connect with a well written character. Now Haller did use some sleazy tactics in the opening case of this, I wanted something good to happen for him. With all of this going on Haller gets a text requesting he call into his office urgently there is a client being charged with murder. It turns out the victim is the one who recommended him to Haller.
Haller really believes his client is innocent and there is a lot more to the story so he begins his own investigation to uncover the truth. I was really impressed with how well everything pieced together in the end. Connelly did a great job creating memorable characters while bringing back an old client that as a reader I had hoped wouldn’t be back. In a good way though, the character left in an earlier book with hopes of a better life. That’s all I will say on that. I was hooked from the very beginning and finished this in two days. I have already met my hours to read for the Adult Summer book program and this filled most of it. This story was fasted paced from the very beginning and didn’t let up. Connelly really showed his mastery of suspense and I really liked this book.
Connelly has continued to surprise me and he hasn’t let me down yet. I have been trying to catch up on all of his books that I have missed before The Burning Room comes out in November. Now I am really bummed that I am out of his books to read. If I didn’t have a mounting to-read pile I would go back and re-read his earlier books so I could review them here for my blog because they are all good. If you love suspense and mystery pick up one of Connelly’s books. He is one of my favorite authors right behind Jeffery Deaver and Stephen King. I proudly give this book 5 out of 5 stars. I loved this book and I’m suffering a book hangover now that I have finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment