Monday, June 9, 2014

Proud to read what I WANT!!!!


Warning, Opinions Ahead!!!
I’m not one to rant and rave about things that upset me, especially on my blog. My poor wife on the other hand has to suffer the barage of frustrations I have just so I can vent. I'm a strong believer that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that’s cool even if it doesn’t mesh with what I think. For someone to feel comfortable putting themselves out there no matter what the response is a brave thing.
I was catching up on posts at my friend’s blog and came across her post Read What You Want. I was shocked to see she had written about another post that says we as adults should be ashamed if we read YA titles. The sub title of the article in question actually reads “Read whatever you want. But you should feel embarrassed when what you’re reading was written for children.” Here is the link to the post so you can read it for yourself. At first I didn’t want to link to it because we are just allowing the author to gain popularity, but I want you all to know why I’m upset.
I’m not a huge fan of YA and I can pick a book apart if I didn’t like it; but I have read several YA series that I really enjoyed. As anyone who follows my blog would know, I’m an avid comic book reader. I’m 30 and will be 31 in August, does this mean that since comics can be for a younger audience I should be ashamed to read this? Absolutely not! The first books I read on my own as a child where comic books. No matter what horrible things were happening to my life like the endless bullies who picked on me, or my parent’s divorce, Batman was there. Reading comics was an escape for me. It took me out of whatever was upsetting me and made me happy. I still use comics as an escape sometimes as an adult. Work and finances can be stressful and it is nice to turn my brain off for a little bit and just enjoy a good comic book.
I believe that people should read whatever makes them happy, but when someone tells me that I should be ashamed of what I choose to read because it was intended for children I get mad. I hate being told how I should feel. This really hit me hard and I got very very angry when I read this. Let me ask you this, I read Curious George to my kids and I love them. I loved reading the Monkey Me books to my son as well. Should I be ashamed that I liked them even though my main reason to read them was for my son? Should I just read children’s books as a monotone robot because I’m an adult and those books are beneath me? I like the Llama Llama series by Anna Dewdney. I got excited when I found one we hadn’t read at the library. I enjoy these just as much, if not more than my son.
Read what you want people, as long as you are happy reading it doesn’t matter what it is. I’m not a huge fan of YA but still felt I should defend it because of how angry that post made me. I think of YA not as an age group, but as a genre like Mystery and Romance. I can’t stand romance novels but I would never ever tell someone they should be ashamed of reading that smut (extreme example, I’m not calling it smut). I would ask if they like it and what it’s about, because I love talking books. We are all different in our tastes and that is what makes the blogging community so great. I get it, this person doesn’t like YA, fine, just don’t tell me I should be ashamed because I really like the Last Apprentice series, or The Hunger Games.
That’s it, I’m off my soap box and feel better having said my piece. If I have kept you this long please feel free to comment and get some discussion going. Good or bad I can take it and would love the feedback. I’m being brave and putting myself out there because I believe as long as you are reading and happy, that is all that matters.


2 comments:

  1. I too don't normally get into the drama of bloggers or the reading world. But I too was shocked at that article (thanks for linking me up). I am just so surprised in a world where reading is going out of style and TV and movies and video games takes up more time. Twlight isn't the best writing.. but it got tons of people reading. I had girlfriends who would never read a book in their lives pick Twilight up. While I thought to myself.. that is not great literature... I was just glad they were reading. One thing this person did writing this article was unite most readers together as one group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right, reading is a dying hobby. I don't know many people who are big readers outside my family. Why make people feel bad about what makes them happy. I can't stand Twilight, but there are other great YA series out there

    Yes we have all bonded together as a group but it is sadly against the author. I'm happy to help spread the word about your blog anytime. You always have great posts. Besides, it is because of your post that I felt compelled to write this myself.

    ReplyDelete