Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

28186

If I wasn’t hooked after the first book I definitely am now. With most of the character set up behind us in book one there was a lot more room for story and action. I couldn’t stop reading. When Percy returns to Camp Half Blood he finds that someone has poisoned the sacred tree that holds the protection barrier around the camp.  The only way to save the tree and the camp is to find the Golden Fleece. Percy is not the one chosen to be sent on this quest from camp, but that doesn’t stop him from sneaking off to try and find it on his own with Tyson and Annabel in tow.
There is some great stuff in this book. There are so many great scenes I could ramble on quite a bit. The story seemed pretty fast paced for the most part. There was a little section in the middle of the book that seemed to drag a bit. I really enjoyed the little side story with Grover. He is a Satyr that is on his own quest to find Pan, the head of the Satyrs I think. I’m not too sure about that. It is possible I missed something. Grover has been taken prisoner by a giant angry cyclops. There are a few more characters that we get to meet and learn a little about, but it didn’t take focus off the main plot. Tyson is my favorite of the new characters. Being a cyclops he is treated as a lesser being by most of the people in this book. Percy of course shows him kindness and at times suffers for it.
I do see several similarities between this series and Harry Potter but it doesn’t really bother me. This series is different enough that it doesn’t seem like a direct copy of an idea. The fact alone that Percy goes home for the school year and returns to Camp Half Blood in the summer is very similar to HP, but Potter goes home in the summer and returns for the school year.
The two books I have read were really pretty good. I can’t wait to continue on to the next ones. I will give this 4.5 out of 5 stars. For the purpose of Goodreads and Amazon I will round down to 4. There was that slow spot in the middle that keeps me from giving this highest marks, but it does come close.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow... you are knocking these out. They are great fun and quick reads though. I did see similarities to HP too but they didn't bother me. I love it when there is a school... I would always picture all the houses for the different gods kids in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying these and you're right, I'm flying through them. I don't mind the similarities to HP either. I hope it didn't come off that way. I can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete