Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Batman and Robin Vol 4: Requiem for Damian by Peter J Thomasi


This was an emotional book, and that seems a little strange for a Batman title. As odd as this may be; I think it needed to be an emotional story, and we the reader needed to see this softer side of Bruce.  I’m very out of the loop with Batman and Robin and it seems that is follows events in the Batman Incorporated series. I haven’t read either series and stopped reading Batman and Robin before new 52.wasn’t a fan of Batman and Robin mainly because I have never been a fan of Bruce having a biological son. Dick and Tim were his adopted sons and I really liked that since they all had similar pasts, but Damian seemed to be going against the mythos of Batman. I always thought if Bruce was going to have a child he would be married first. I’m old fashioned and it bugs me that he had a son that he didn’t know about for years. On top of that, I never thought Damian was a very likable character. He was very violent and out of control in the beginning. I know this was because of the way he was raised in the League of Assassins, but I saw Damian as another Jason Todd. I have followed a good bit of the Batman series accept for this one so I was a little surprised when I found out that Damian was killed.
I honestly had mixed emotions when I heard that Damian had been killed. I worried that this was going to be terrible because DC has done this story before. Death in the Family was one of the best story lines I have read and that was a long long time ago when Robin number 2 (Jason Todd) was killed. It is still to this day a story that sticks with me and I re-read from time to time. I was afraid to see what would happen to the Bat Family with tensions already running high due to the recent run in with the Joker. At the same time I was kind of glad that Damian was gone. As callous as that sounds I had hopes that Robin number 3 (Tim Drake) who is now known as Red Robin would be back in the Batman stories more. I didn’t know what to expect from this book when I started.
I loved this story line!!! The art work was fantastic. There is very little dialog in the beginning of this and it worked. Most of the opening of the book relies on the artwork to tell the story and there are some powerful and emotional pictures that really made me see the despair Bruce was feeling. This book is all about what a parent would go through if they lost a child. Pain, revenge, rage, and a constant wondering of what could have been done differently are the themes in this story. Bruce is obsessed with trying to figure out what he could have done differently so that Damian would still be alive. He becomes violent to a point where his other Bat Family members worry about him crossing the line.

We get some appearances from other characters like Nightwing and Batgirl in this book and I always enjoy these little crossovers. Because of the rage and depression overcoming Bruce he doesn’t realize that he is missing the fact that he isn’t suffering alone. This was an excellent story and I am so glad I was given the opportunity to read this. I was approved for the ARC copy of this by the publisher through Edelweiss.
I loved everything about this book and it is definitely going to be one that stays with me. There might even be a possible Robin replacement in this book. A certain character looks a lot like the Robin in Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns. We’ll have to see if this series continues and who fills those tights. This is absolutely worth of 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this to any comic book fan, Batman fan, or fan of great artwork.

2 comments:

  1. I really really like this book too. I mean.. wow. I did pick up Batman Incorporated vol1 and I think I am going to pass on that series. There are just A LOT of Batman arcs out there and I am tired of reading so many. I know the main thing that happens in Batman Inc so I decided to just not read it. I wasn't reading comics when Jason Todd died so I missed all that. In the new 52 though everyone talks about it so I do know about it. At first I was surprised that this volume existed since Robin isn't actually in it. Have you watched the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3139072/ I am number 1 at the library for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will at least read the first two volumes of Batman Inc just so I can read how it happened. Otherwise I'm with you, I don't really have an interest it it otherwise. You really should try to get Death in the family. It is a great story.

    ReplyDelete