Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs


In the past I have loved Kathy Reichs’s books and I am still a big fan of the show based on her books Bones. My Undergrad degree is Criminal Justice with an emphasis in Forensic Science; with all of that why is it I just didn’t care for this book. This is now two of her books in a row that I was less than thrilled with. I’m starting to worry that I have grown out of Kathy Reichs. I keep wondering if these books have always been this way and when I started reading them I didn’t have a lot to compare them to. Have my tastes just changed? Has this ever happened to you? I would love to hear from you in the comments just so I know I’m not alone on this.
So the plot of the story is there is a suspicious fire and Brennan is asked to look into some charred remains putting her vacation on hold. While stuck working she decides to step away and meet her daughter’s friends. While at a Bar BQ with them her dog finds bones. Not just animal bones but human mixed in. Is this poaching that went wrong, or did a bear snack on a picnicker only to choke on a bone and die. I’ll let you read and figure that out if you would like.
The more I think about this plot I keep picking at it. Why do these books have so many different victims/cases mashed into one book? There have been times while I am reading that I have no idea which bones she is referring to belong to what case or victim. It can be frustrating. It’s almost like trying to keep straight the characters of Game of Thrones without a character list handy. I also have started to hate the whole romance (or lack thereof) angle in these books.  I remember when I first started reading these books cheering for Brennan and Detective Ryan. Now I am just irritated with the juvenile “I love him”, “I hate him”, “I love him again”. It doesn’t really advance the story in my opinion.
I think I am going to keep this short; I’m really indifferent on this book. I didn’t care for it but I didn’t hate it. I will try to go mid road here and give this 3 out of 5 stars. I feel it really is more of a 2.5 star read but I’m going to round up this time. I have a few more to read and if the next one is about the same I might end my run there.

No comments:

Post a Comment