Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Last Apprentice: Attack of the Fiend by Joseph Delaney


Another chapter in the Last Apprentice series and these are always fun to read.  Not going to lie, these are my fluff books. I can breeze through them and not have to give it much thought. I can get right into the story and really enjoy them. It is also a nice reprieve from some of the more intense mysteries I read on a regular basis. We all have those books that you can rely on to be enjoyable and yet easy reads; these are mine right now. I am so hooked on this series that I can’t get the next book fast enough.
In this book the Spook and Tom are on their way to Pendleton which is home to the witch clans. There is trouble brewing that could lead to powerful evil being unleashed. Tom and the Spook need to find out what is going on and stop it before it becomes too late. A lot happens in this book and there were times that if I wasn’t paying attention I had to go back a page or two to catch up. We get to learn more about witches and the clans; we also get to know a little more about Alice’s family also.
Before Tom sets out to Pendleton he must prepare. The Spook sends him home to retrieve the trunks that his Mam had left him. When he arrives the farm is destroyed, his brother and family are missing, and the trunks are gone. This really builds suspense because I wanted to know if his brother and family were ok. What happened to them? How did the intruder get the trunks out of a room that had a spell prohibiting any evil from entering? I was on the edge of my seat until my questions were answered and I wasn’t disappointed or left hanging to wait till the next book.
It is no secret I have enjoyed these books but I will say that towards the end of this book the story kind of stalled a bit. I wasn’t anxious to press on to find out what happens next, I was just coasting through the story for a while. The rest of the book is strong and a great chapter in this series. I think when it comes to rating this book I will have to go with 3.5 out of 5. I liked this one but not as much as others in the series so far. I will round up and keep these going at a 4 star rating for the purpose of Goodreads and Amazon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment