Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Batgirl Vol 4: Wanted

I have really been meaning to read Batgirl since New 52 started for the single reason that Barbara Gordon is back. She has always been one of my favorite characters and I loved her as Oracle when she was paralyzed from the waist down. Not going to lie, I also used to like the relationship between her and Dick Grayson (Nightwing), but that seems to be missing from this reboot. I was approved to read this as an ARC through Edelweiss by DC Comics and I couldn’t wait to read this one which is why I started at 4 instead of 1.  
I’m a little out of the loop obviously since I started with Volume 4, but this was still a really good book and only peaked my interest to get the previous ones. Poor Barbra has been through a lot apparently. She killed her psychotic brother by accident which means Commissioner Gordon is out to bring her down and arrest her; little does he know that Batgirl and his daughter are the same person. She is also dealing with a new version of the ventriloquist and some villain known as Knightfall.
I have always liked Arnold Wesker as the Ventriloquist. He was so torn because Scarface was a whole separate personality and Wesker was just along for the ride. He was “forced” to help the dummy Scarface with his criminal pursuits even though Wesker didn’t want any part of it. I think after the DC Universe event Infinite Crisis Wesker was killed and Scarface crushed. Scarface is then picked up by Peyton Riley to live on. Peyton, or Sugar as Scarface calls her, is a much more evil character. She has no problem with violence or doing what is necessary when it suits her.
The Ventriloquist in this book has nothing to do with Scarface but I think she is the most evil of all of the characters who carried that title. This one took her dummy from a ventriloquist clown (Two things that freak me out in one horrific package).  On top of being batcrap crazy she has these powers that allow her to not only control the dummy without having to jam her hand up its back, but she can turn corpses into dummies as well. This was creepy, dark, and disturbing and I loved it!!! This section of the book was my favorite overall.
The rest of the book deals with an ongoing plot line with the villain Knightfall. I’m intrigued because the last time DC used the word Knightfall it referred to the breaking of Batman. Those Graphic novels were amazing so I am curious the origin behind this villain of the same name. I was really impressed with this book and can’t wait to go back and read the other volumes to get all caught up. The story and the artwork were really good and I give this a 4 out of 5. I got a little bored at times with some of the underlying plot which keeps this from 5 out of 5 but overall I’m so glad I got to read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment