Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Walking Dead Vol 6: This Sorrowful Life by Robert Kirkman

These volumes only hold six issues like most graphic novels but it almost feels like less. I fly through these very quickly and since they are just the next steps in a much bigger story the events in this book seemed short and like they went by too quickly. Usually this is a good thing because that means I was really interested in what I was reading, but I almost feel cheated because I wanted more. Good thing there are a lot of other volumes for me to read still.
These books are so difficult to review because it is so hard to write one without spoilers. These are just chapters in a much larger story so if you haven’t read up to this volume then almost everything could be taken as a spoiler. I’m going to try my best but I have a feeling these Walking Dead post will be shorter than my usual reviews.
Let’s start with the writing, Robert Kirkman does an amazing job developing his characters and every volume seems to bring more and more depth to these fictional people that we follow from book to book. In the last book we get a taste of how disturbed the Governor is but in this issue we get even more that just maked me want to cringe. The worst part about this character is that even without a Zombie apocalypse people like him exist in the world. It’s easy to say it’s just fiction and he isn’t real, but I have read to many true crime novels to know that there are people out there just like this character and worse. In volume 6 Rick, Glenn, and Michonne are being held in Woodbury and tortured, each in different ways for different reasons. I liked this book because we get to see the inner strength that grows in our heroes. It was easy to put myself in their position and think about what I would do if that were me. I really liked that about this and there was a good bit of retribution towards the end. I will say no more because I don’t want to spoil anything for future readers of this series.
The next thing I want to mention, which I haven’t really in previous reviews is the artwork.  I have to be honest, it isn’t the best that I have seen, but for this series it works. There isn’t a lot of detail to the artwork and for anyone not familiar with these books, it is in black and white. I’m not sure if the individual monthly issues are in color but in the graphic novels it is all black and white. Normally I would complain about the lack of color hindering the quality of this comic, but in this case I like it. Having the art work all in Black and White makes this feel like an old George Romero film. I couldn’t imagine reading these any other way.
I really liked this book. The story was a great chapter in this series and I can’t wait to move on to the next one. We get to see a different side to some of the characters, and at times can even scare the characters themselves. This book deals with a threat that has nothing to do with the zombies, but with the survivors. Kirkman brought a whole new view to just how unsettling life in a post-apocalyptic world can be in this book. I give this 4 out of 5 stars. These books are only getting better as they move forward in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment